If you are considering getting dental implants done at Milford, look no further than our doctors.They will not only make sure to deliver excellent and long-lasting results; they will also educate you about the procedure. In line with this, here are some of the frequently asked questions to serve as your guide.
- What are Dental Implants?
Simply put, dental implants are artificial tooth roots. These surgical fixtures are used to replace missing teeth or bridges by letting them integrate with the jawbone in a process called ‘osseointegration.’ Dental implants are considered to be the standard of care for teeth prosthetic replacement in dentistry.
The Two Types of Implants
There are two types of implants in use traditionally but only one of them is accepted today: endosteal or an implant done on the very jawbone and subperiosteal or an implant done atop the jawbone under the gum tissue. Subperiosteal implants are no longer in use today because of their poor long-term outcomes.
Most dental implants are made of titanium as these allow smooth integration without being recognized as a foreign object in the body.
- Your Options for Tooth Replacement
However, dental implants are not the only option you have when it comes to teeth replacement, the other options you can utilize are:
- Removable dental appliance, or what is commonly known as dentures, is the most affordable option but can be inconvenient as it is removable and can affect the taste of food.
- Fixed dental bridges are a restorative approach that relies on the existing natural teeth for support.
Whichever dental procedure you prefer, there are factors to be considered, such as:
- Your general health
- The location of your missing tooth or teeth,
- The quantity and quality of your jawbone where the dental implant is to be placed,
- Costs, and;
- Your personal preference
At Family Dentistry of Milford, our doctors will make sure to examine the area to be considered for the dental implant and make a clinical assessment of whether or not the candidate is viable for the procedure or not.
- How Do I Know I Need Dental Implants?
If you have one, two, or several missing teeth and would like to have them replaced, then you are a candidate for dental implants. The results are not only for aesthetics, but dental implants also function the same way as your original teeth.
The main advantage of dental implants over other tooth replacement options is its ability to depend only on the bone and not on the existing natural teeth. As such, the surrounding teeth are not affected. Also, dental implants have the benefit of smooth integration into the bone structure of the patient which not only means stability but also the look and feel of having natural teeth.
- What Are the Potential Side Effects of the Procedure?
A dental implant procedure is a surgery so there will always be some risks involved to the patient, even with a procedure that has a high success rate of 98%.
In any case, you can trust that careful planning and review prior to the treatment is done by our doctors and team so potential unnecessary complications are eliminated and so you can heal properly.
- As it is, here are some of the recorded complications during dental implant procedures:
- Infections on site
- Fracture of the dental implant
- Damage to the surrounding nerves, blood vessels, teeth
- Poor positioning of the implant
Contact Us Today for Your Implant Dentistry Needs
Dental implants are the safest and most effective tooth replacement procedure you can get with 98% success rate. So, don’t let that one missing tooth ruin your confidence; when you are ready to smile to the fullest, our dental practice will make it happen! Simply reach out to us here.